Post Title: Media & Communication Manager
Organization: United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC)
Duty Station: UCLG ASPAC Regional Office, Jakarta, Indonesia
Type of Contract: Service Contract – 2 year, with possible extension
United Cities and Local Governments Asia Pacific (UCLG ASPAC) is one of the eight Regional Sections of the United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) which is based in Jakarta, Indonesia. UCLG is the largest association of local governments in the world and the officially recognized voice of local government by the United Nations. The Asia and Pacific region is the biggest of the eight sections in UCLG with linkages to more than 7.000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people–more than half of the world population- and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities and their associations, and facilitates programs, networks and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable community development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising poverty alleviation, climate change, decentralization, local finance and MDGs.
UCLG ASPAC is accepting expression of interests from qualified Manager: Media and Communication candidates. The Manager will be placed at the UCLG ASPAC regional office in Jakarta and provides support to the on-going operations and ensure high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Manager reports directly to the Secretary General of UCLG ASPAC.
1. Establish and maintain communication with members, partners and relevant stakeholders including international organizations, academic institutions, Local Governments and their Associations, Civil Society Organizations, and media.
2. Develop and implement short and long-term communication strategy.
3. Play a leading role in the development of a coherent in country media and communications strategy, including the development of the monitoring and evaluation system related to media and communications.
4. Facilitate the implementation of the media and communications strategy at the international and national level, including providing support to media and communications elements in programmes and projects at national and international level.
5. Take a lead in maintaining link of national, and international media outlets (TV, radio, print, and online).
6. Provide a timely response to incoming enquiries from national and international medias.
7. Take a lead in drafting news releases, opinion pieces and other media engagement documents, and take documents through sign off procedures.
8. Maintain responsibility for developing strong news, stories which bring together organization’s programme and profile.
9. Development of media activities in country through training, providing quality information and analysis, and facilitating sharing experiences and learning.
10. Take a lead in monitoring the Indonesian media, both to spot opportunities for organization and to assist with providing regular summary information and updates, overviews regarding organization, its members, its partners, and their activities in the media.
11. Prepare reports related to communication to UCLG ASPAC Executive Bureau, Council and General Assembly Meetings and to UCLG World (headquarters) as required.
12. Perform other duties as required from time-to-time as assigned by the Secretary General
1. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations and/or related fields
2. At least five years of professional experience in public relations and/or journalistic work
3. Proficiency in designing and developing public relations/media tools
4. Strong communication skills (Indonesia and English)
5. Excellent writing skills
6. Computer software skills in all basic Microsoft word programs and publication software
7. Basic IT knowledge is preferable.
8. Ability to develop liaison with representatives from members, partner organizations and stakeholders and work co-operatively with other staff members.
9. Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines required.
10. Experience in working in an international environment, respecting different cultures and nationalities.
11. Considerable domestic and international travel may be required
The assignment will be for a period of 2 years (with possible extension) and will commence as soon as possible
UCLG ASPAC will offer a remuneration initially amounting up from IDR 102,000,000 to IDR 108,000,000 NETT per year (exclude 13thmonth salary), Jamsostek and Insurance coverage.
How to apply:
Deadline for the Application Candidates are expected to submit an updated CV including salary history along with the application to the Human Resources Division of UCLG ASPAC at email@example.com by September 25th, 2014 at the latest with subject “Media and Communication Manager and your name”
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted